Creative Photography with Celia Walmsley
THIS WORKSHOP IS FOR YOU IF:
- You know how to use your camera – either in full manual or semi manual modes i.e Aperture and Shutter priority
- You can take a well exposed, sharp image with ‘good’ composition
- You want to be challenged and move out of your photographic comfort zone
- You’re interested in new ways of seeing and creating images
- You want to share ideas and be inspired by other like-minded people.
WE WILL COVER:
- Learning and plateaus in your photography
- Move your thinking to move your seeing and skill
- Practical exercises to experiment and challenge yourself
- Artist examples
- What is fine art photography? What makes an image ‘art’?
- Creating depth and meaning. Hidden meaning
- Creating narrative
- Documentary photography - story telling
- Swans and sunsets – the merits or otherwise!
- Photographic tropes - embrace or avoid?
- Creative technical skills
- Impressionist photography techniques
- Creating magic with abstracts
- Out on the land - creative landscapes
- Working with people - creative portraiture
- Who’s in charge? – ‘Agency’ of the photographer and subject
- People in the landscape
- Finding your thing
- Developing bodies of work or photographic projects
- What does research add to your photographic project?
- Collaboration – working with other people
- Your ideas book & getting started on your ideas
WHAT TO BRING
- Your camera, lenses, batteries and cards (check your batteries are charged)
- Your camera’s MANUAL. You can download it from the internet
- Flash if you have one
- Card reader or cable to download your photos
- Laptop and cable, if you have one
- Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop or other editing software if you have it on your laptop. If not don’t worry – I will demonstrate
- Couple of examples of your own favourite photographs.
- Couple of examples of photographs that you aspire to
- Pen and paper
- Jacket & sun block as we will also work outside, weather permitting
I’m a full-time professional photographer specialising in people, dance, arts, portraiture, weddings and events. You can see more of my work at https://www.stagebox.co.nz
I’m privileged to have gained my Master of Fine Arts and to be able to focus on my art work. My art work centres primarily on collaborations with dancers and choreographers.
I’m very fortunate to have photographed many of the worlds greats dance companies and am one of the official photographers for the Royal New Zealand Ballet.
Yes, I actually do live and work in two remarkable places. Central Otago for the epic photography work, mountains, wide open spaces, golden light and Wellington for the artistic photography work, ballet, theatre, long-time friends and unique vibe. Life doesn’t get much better!
I love and value masterpieces – in people, art, memories, relationships, epic scenery and the natural order of life.
You can see my work in the Artists of Bannockburn exhibition at Cairnmuir Woolshed, Cairnmuir Road 7 - 9 Oct 2022.
For more information and to book a place head to our website: Bannockburnarts.co.nz