Space Place Programming & Exhibition
Closes29 Aug 2022
Posted on15 Aug 2022
Work typeFull time employment
Work classificationEducation & Development
Do you have a passion for the culture, science and heritage of the southern skies?
Space Place at Carter Observatory is looking for talented, passionate people to excite audiences about Aotearoa New Zealand’s place in space.
We are seeking expressions of interest in a role, or combination of roles, that will enable Experience Wellington to:
– Develop and deliver a vibrant programme of events and public programmes for diverse audiences at Space Place, including in its planetarium
– Support the development of a suite of new exhibitions: weaving together western astronomy and mātauranga Māori
– Represent Space Place in media interviews
– Assist in the interpretation of the Carter Observatory artefact collection
– Make expert recommendations about possible temporary exhibitions and planetarium show purchases
– Be a strong, clear and effective verbal and written communicator, confident in engaging people of all ages and with the ability to make complex information accessible
– Have deep knowledge of the space science & astronomy and mātauranga Māori, embracing Te Ao Māori throughout your mahi
– Possess good technical knowledge and trouble-shooting skills, with strong networks in relevant communities
– Putting our visitor’s experience at the heart of your decision-making
– Possess experience with exhibition making and / or programme development for a range of audiences
– Be a great team player – creative, reliable, proactive, and positive: always thinking about how your actions impact the wider team
– Be able to effectively work collaboratively across your team, site and other sites in the Experience Wellington family, with open communication and clear planning
The breadth of skills and experience we require means that we are extremely flexible and open to hearing from people who wish to work full or part time, and/or meet some, but not all, of these criteria.
Experience Wellington works with and for the city to create remarkable experiences that generate vitality, strengthening the city we love. We offer incredible audience experiences across our six sites: City Gallery Wellington Te Whare Toi, Capital E Nōku te Ao, Wellington Museum, Space Place, Cable Car Museum and Nairn Street Cottage. We also look after the city’s artefact collection, the National Theatre for Children, and are funded by the Ministry of Education to deliver Enriching Local Curriculum experiences across sites. The team is excited to be working with Wellington City Council to house Capital E within Te Matapihi ki te Ao Nui, the re-imagined Central Library in Te Ngākau Civic Square.
We are delighted that Wellington City Council has granted funding to update the Space Place’s planetarium and exhibition over the next four years – this is your opportunity to be part of re-shaping the way we share the stories of the southern skies.
Our vision is engaged, curious communities. We are committed to Te Tiriti o Waitangi and support mana whenua as kaitiaki. We are committed to creating a culturally safe and inclusive environment, building meaningful and sustainable employment opportunities for Māori and providing enhanced career pathways for our Māori employees.
As a place of work we embrace flexible working in recognition of all aspects of a well-balanced lifestyle for our employees. We offer generous leave provisions including 5 weeks annual leave.
If you want to work with a team of like-minded community builders, and you are passionate about art, science, creativity and culture we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV, with a cover letter and we look forward to talking more with you.
If you want to work with like-minded community builders, and you are passionate about art and culture we would love to hear from you. To join our team, please submit your CV, a cover letter and complete our online application form for our consideration on our careers site https://experiencewellington.org.nz/work-with-us/. For further information on the role please contact email@example.com.
Applications close 9AM 29 August 2022
All applicants must have the legal right to work in New Zealand