Senior Graphic Designer / Kaiwhakanikoniko
We are seeking a senior graphic design professional to join the Marketing and Communications Team at Rotorua Lakes Council.
The fun stuff:
Working alongside two Graphic Designers, a videographer and an animator, you will help Council reach a range of audiences with engaging, effective visual communications using brand guidelines and strategies as your road map; confectionery as bait and coffee for the occasional bribe along the way.
Reporting to the Design and Production Manager (an elusive fast moving caffeine-powered creature known for blazing through the office leaving a trail of paperwork behind her), you will be a team player who brings a positive can-do influence. You will own projects from brief to completion, providing creative concepts and design solutions for all aspects of Council business including marketing assets, communications material, digital media, and our social and audio-visual channels. You will need to hit the ground running so a multi-talented all-rounder wielding a pair of snazzy sneakers is what we need.
Council is a large and busy organisation, so the ability to handle a variety of competing priorities and reactive jobs is a must. Therefore:
- A sense of humour is considered a survival tool around here – and we use ours constantly. Bring yours!
- A love of gummy worms, retro household items, true crime podcasts, animals, coffee, and irony (so much irony) will help you to fit in with the rest of the pack quickly
The serious stuff:
In return for your skills and experience you will be supported by a strong, diverse and fun team including specialists across media, communications, digital, animation, marketing, learning design and graphic design. You will be provided with support to continue developing your skills as our team members have worked in television; education; media; private design practice; have won the odd award here and there and have worked with the likes of the NRL, Savage and Maynard.
The successful candidate will have:
- Demonstrable hands-on graphic design experience and a passion for design excellence.
- Relevant experience (5+ years) in Graphic Design and print/digital production.
- Previous experience in client facing roles, with the ability to explain how a brief has been interpreted into a finished design, is a must.
- Proven experience in and highly proficient with Adobe Creative Cloud.
- In-depth knowledge of design to print/digital processes and ability to manage a job from concept through to delivery of final product.
- Knowledge and engagement with social networking sites and digital marketing tools.
- Knowledge of contemporary art and/or Maori design practice in New Zealand will be considered highly advantageous, however a willingness to proactively learn about these things trumps existing knowledge if we feel you would be a good fit for the team.
- Experience in designing social media assets such as reels and guides would be advantageous (Experience in Premiere Pro, After Effects and XD).
- A keen interest in the workings of local and/or central government – I mean who doesn't love a bit of politics!
- Creative genius – be someone who can turn ideas and concepts into innovative and practical solutions.
Te Kaunihera o nga Roto o Rotorua (Rotorua Lakes Council) is committed to biculturalism and working in partnership with Te Arawa, our local iwi. We value staff who have an openness and appreciation of Maori values, te reo and tikanga Maori.
Think we might be the next great fit for you? We would love to see a range of your work so send us a link to your portfolio and get in touch to have a chat!